Our Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) Engagement Project needs an Expert by Experience
Do you have lived experience of disability, autism or mental ill health and a knowledge of the needs of those from BAME communities?
Summary of the role
This role will support a Project Worker to deliver a project that aims to increase engagement within the BAME (black and minority ethnic) communities to ensure that they have access to effective information and support as a result of the impacts of COIVD-19. There will be a particular focus on those with disabilities, mental ill health and those who are autistic. This role will also support the project work by bringing expertise from personal experience within this area to inform the project direction. We know that people from BAME communities have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19, and through our existing projects, individuals in Gloucestershire have told us that COVID-19 has resulted in:
– Widespread bereavement in BAME communities, many of which are very tight knit
– Distress at not being able to carry out usual grieving and funeral practices due to COVID-19
– Increased levels of mental ill health, which often goes unreported
– Lack of support and respite for family carers
– Lack of information in a format that is accessible to BAME communities
– Increased levels of behaviours that may challenge, particularly for people with a learning disability or on
the autistic spectrum
– Isolation for individuals who would normally receive support or attend community activities
– Widespread fear of the virus, resulting in people not leaving their homes and therefore further isolation
– Economic difficulties due to job losses and furlough
– Lack of specific support, e.g. interpreters and specialist charity support
– Increased rates of domestic violence
We plan to address this by engaging with these communities and providing targeted support over the next 8 months to deal with these challenges and linking them into support and provision that will provide preventative community-based support in the longer term. We also wish to connect people to other forums including Gloucestershire’s Partnership Boards
Job purpose: To work alongside a Project Worker and liaise with individuals and other organisations to identify individual and group information and support needs. To use these identified needs to support the Project Worker in the design of a programme of events and structured plan to meet individual and group support needs.
Reports to: Engagement Manager
Hours and pay:
Hours: 4 hours per week
Contract: Fixed term for a maximum of 8 months – exact date depends on start date
Pension: IG operates the NEST pension scheme and will contribute 3% subject to qualifying status
Salary: £17004 pro rata which is £1813 per year for 4 hours per week
Click here to view the job description.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY. Please fill out the form and follow the instructions at the bottom of the document.
This post will be based at 2 St Michaels Court, St Michaels Square, Gloucester, GL1 1JB and all posts have a holiday entitlement of 28 days + bank holidays pro rata. (Some home working may apply due to COVID-19 but staff should be prepared to work in face to face settings when safe to do so)
For individuals wanting more information on any of these jobs please download our Job Descriptions and Application form from our website.
You can also request a job pack by phone (01452 234003).
If you would like an informal discussion about any of the roles, please email email@example.com she will give you a call
Closing date: Midnight on 6 December
N.B Interviews may be held via video call – instructions will be provided on how to set this up)
Charity Number – 1171559